Messi, Ronaldo & Iniesta nominated for 2012 FIFA Ballon d`Or
Paris: FIFA and France Football have announced that Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cristiano Ronaldo are the remaining three candidates in the running for the 2012 FIFA Ballon d`Or.
The Argentine has netted an impressive 82 goals since January, and needs only three more in 2012 to equal Gerd Muller`s record of 85 strikes for club and country in a calendar year.
Messi helped Barcelona to the Copa del Rey in 2011-12, while also guiding Argentina to top spot in their 2014 World Cup qualification section.
Ronaldo played a key role in Real Madrid`s Liga triumph last term with his 46 league goals, and also made it to the semi-finals of Euro 2012 with Portugal.
Iniesta, meanwhile, triumphed with Spain at last summer`s European Championship, as well as winning the Copa del Rey with the Blaugrana.
Messi previously won the Ballon d`Or in 2009, while also picking up the prestigious trophy in 2010 and 2011 after it merged with the Fifa World Player of the Year award.
Ronaldo emerged victorious in 2008, but had to settle for second spot in 2009 and 2011. Iniesta finished as runner-up in 2010.
Vicente del Bosque, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho have been nominated for the Coach of the Year prize.
Radamel Falcao, Neymar and Miroslav Stoch are the three candidates in the running to win the Puskas award for goal of the season, while Marta, Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan are in contention for the Women’s Player of the Year title.
Bruno Bini, Norio Sasaki and Pia Sundhage are the trio up for the Coach of the Year trophy in women`s football.
The winners of all of the awards will be revealed at the Fifa Ballon d’Or gala as part of a televised show at the Zurich Kongresshaus on 7 January 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM