Messi-Ronaldo rivalry tremendous for football: Blatter
London: Fifa President Sepp Blatter has hailed the rivalry between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as "tremendous for football."
The Barcelona and Real Madrid stars have been at the centre of a debate over who is the world`s best player for a number of years, and the head of the sport`s governing body beileves the competition is a great asset to the modern game.
Speaking after delivering a lecture in Geneva, the 76-year-old told reporters: "We face two men with a different game and perhaps contrasting personalities. This is a good thing for football. I find it something tremendous."
Blatter went on to discuss the social impact of the game saying: "This struggle to determine who is the best in the world and who is second is something that we also have to see in football.
"Football cannot have one type of player. Imagine there were two like Messi or two like Ronaldo. It would not work well. They are polar opposites and I believe it is tremendous for football to have personalities like them."
Both Messi and Ronaldo are favourites for this year`s Ballon d`Or prize, a title which the Portuguese won back in 2008 but which has been held by the Argentine for the last three years.
Blatter explained that Fifa do not have final say on who is given the award, but that national federations are the ones responsible for voting.
He added: "Fifa do not choose who is best. It is not us who decides. "It is the federations that have the election and the president has neither the right to veto, nor the right to vote. It`s something sporting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'