Messi set to become ‘highest paid footballer’ through new deal at Barca
London: Soccer star Lionel Messi is set to sign a new deal at Barcelona that would give him the highest club wages of any footballer in Europe`s top leagues.
The player`s father, Jorge, has already opened negotiations with the Catalan club over extending his current contract, meaning he will stay at Barcelona until he is at least 31.
The deal is expected to be structured so that it increases yearly, rising to 12.5 million pounds a year net before bonuses. Messi, 25, signed his last big contract in the 2009-10 season with then sporting director Txiki Begiristain and his vice-president Marc Ingla, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, President Sandro Rosell is keen to extend that deal by two years to ensure he stays at Barcelona before fulfilling his ambition of a swansong in Argentina before he retires.
The player`s net take-home pay before bonuses is estimated at 9 million pounds a year, behind Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic`s 12 million pounds and Samuel Eto`o, who earns 16 million pounds at Anzhi Makhachkala, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez