Messi set to become ‘highest paid footballer’ through new deal at Barca
London: Soccer star Lionel Messi is set to sign a new deal at Barcelona that would give him the highest club wages of any footballer in Europe`s top leagues.
The player`s father, Jorge, has already opened negotiations with the Catalan club over extending his current contract, meaning he will stay at Barcelona until he is at least 31.
The deal is expected to be structured so that it increases yearly, rising to 12.5 million pounds a year net before bonuses. Messi, 25, signed his last big contract in the 2009-10 season with then sporting director Txiki Begiristain and his vice-president Marc Ingla, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, President Sandro Rosell is keen to extend that deal by two years to ensure he stays at Barcelona before fulfilling his ambition of a swansong in Argentina before he retires.
The player`s net take-home pay before bonuses is estimated at 9 million pounds a year, behind Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic`s 12 million pounds and Samuel Eto`o, who earns 16 million pounds at Anzhi Makhachkala, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof