Messi used to be so small I didn`t think he could make it, says former agent
London: The former representative of the Argentine attacker has reflected on his first encounter with the player, and told the story of how the Ballon d`Or holder ended up in Spain.
Horacio Gaggioli, who acted as Lionel Messi`s agent until 2005, has stated that he did not think much of the Barcelona attacker`s chances to become a top player when he first saw him.
The representative revealed that his first impression of the Argentine did not give him much confidence, but was happy that the Ballon d`Or holder managed to prove him wrong and become one of the best footballers in the history of the game.
"When I saw Leo get off the plane I was left with my mouth open. I thought I was in trouble for doing all this for a boy who was so short and thin," Gaggioli told XL Semenal.
"Some associates of mine saw Leo in Argentina when he was an 11-year-old. They said he was very good and I wanted him to come to Spain.
"However, I had to find a team with very specific characteristics, a city where he could continue his hormone growth treatment, which was expensive."
Meanwhile, veteran Juan Sebastian Veron shared a story of the only time he saw Messi uneasy and uncomfortable.
"I only saw him nervous once, and that was before the Greece game when [Diego] Maradona offered him the captaincy.
"It was the responsibility of the leadership that made him uncomfortable, as he realised he had to give a speech to his team-mates."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP