Mexico ban Vela, Juarez six months after party
Mexico City: Mexico have banned Carlos Vela and Efrain Juarez for six months for their part in a late-night party that followed a friendly against Colombia earlier this month, the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) said.
"(Vela and Juarez) will be suspended for six months ... due to breaking four articles of the internal regulations of the national team," Nestor de la Torre, FMF national teams` director, told a news conference.
He said another 11 players, including Vela`s fellow forwards Javier Hernandez and Giovani dos Santos and experienced defender Rafael Marquez, will be fined following the party that took place after the match with Colombia in Monterrey on Sept. 7.
De la Torre said the players had, among other things, failed to observe good discipline and receive visitors only at specified hours and within designated areas.
The 50,000 pesos (USD 3,900) to be paid by each of the fined players would be donated to a charity in Ciudad Juarez, a city plagued by drugs-related violence where Mexico will play their next friendly against Venezuela on Oct. 12, or the Karl hurricane-hit Mexican Gulf port city of Veracruz.