Miniero, Sao Paulo clash in Copa Libertadores
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian rivals Atletico Mineiro and Sao Paulo are expected to provide the highlight of the opening week of this year`s Copa Libertadores group stage when they clash at Atletico`s Estadio Independencia in Belo Horizonte Wednesday.
Both clubs are laden with star quality and are considered by most pundits as leading contenders to win South America`s most prized club trophy in 2013.
While Sao Paulo have lost 20-year-old winger Lucas Moura to Paris-Saint Germain since winning last year`s Copa Sudamericana, they have been bolstered by the additions of 2002 World Cup-winning centre-back Lucio and former Santos playmaker Paulo Henrique Ganso.
Their squad also boasts prolific striker Luis Fabiano and ageless goalkeeper Rogerio Ceni, who at 40 is still the team`s designated free-kick and penalty taker.
They face an Atletico Mineiro outfit which has arguably been even busier in the off-season transfer market.
Among the new arrivals are one-time Brazil striker Diego Tardelli from Qatar`s Al-Gharafa as well as former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva.
The duo adds class to a squad already comprising two-time FIFA world player of the year Ronaldinho and emerging midfield star Bernard.
Tardelli, who has returned for a second stint with the club he represented from 2009 to 2011, is confident of developing a quick on-field rapport with Ronaldinho, despite having only arrived at the club last week.
"It`s an honour to be playing with Ronaldinho, I`m a fan and have always followed him closely," the 27-year-old said.
"Now I`m playing alongside him. I hope we can build a good understanding on the pitch. I don`t believe it will be difficult because he is intelligent and I also know how to think on the pitch."
Among other opening-week fixtures, reigning Argentine champions Velez Sarsfield are away to Ecuador`s Emelec Tuesday, Boca Juniors host Mexico`s Toluca Wednesday while Brazil`s Gremio, coached by former Real Madrid boss Vanderlei Luxemburgo, are at home to Chile`s Huachipato Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days