Miniero, Sao Paulo clash in Copa Libertadores
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian rivals Atletico Mineiro and Sao Paulo are expected to provide the highlight of the opening week of this year`s Copa Libertadores group stage when they clash at Atletico`s Estadio Independencia in Belo Horizonte Wednesday.
Both clubs are laden with star quality and are considered by most pundits as leading contenders to win South America`s most prized club trophy in 2013.
While Sao Paulo have lost 20-year-old winger Lucas Moura to Paris-Saint Germain since winning last year`s Copa Sudamericana, they have been bolstered by the additions of 2002 World Cup-winning centre-back Lucio and former Santos playmaker Paulo Henrique Ganso.
Their squad also boasts prolific striker Luis Fabiano and ageless goalkeeper Rogerio Ceni, who at 40 is still the team`s designated free-kick and penalty taker.
They face an Atletico Mineiro outfit which has arguably been even busier in the off-season transfer market.
Among the new arrivals are one-time Brazil striker Diego Tardelli from Qatar`s Al-Gharafa as well as former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva.
The duo adds class to a squad already comprising two-time FIFA world player of the year Ronaldinho and emerging midfield star Bernard.
Tardelli, who has returned for a second stint with the club he represented from 2009 to 2011, is confident of developing a quick on-field rapport with Ronaldinho, despite having only arrived at the club last week.
"It`s an honour to be playing with Ronaldinho, I`m a fan and have always followed him closely," the 27-year-old said.
"Now I`m playing alongside him. I hope we can build a good understanding on the pitch. I don`t believe it will be difficult because he is intelligent and I also know how to think on the pitch."
Among other opening-week fixtures, reigning Argentine champions Velez Sarsfield are away to Ecuador`s Emelec Tuesday, Boca Juniors host Mexico`s Toluca Wednesday while Brazil`s Gremio, coached by former Real Madrid boss Vanderlei Luxemburgo, are at home to Chile`s Huachipato Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened