Mirandes stun Espanyol to reach Cup semis
Madrid: Third-tier Mirandes pulled off one of the biggest upsets in King`s Cup history when they scored in added time to snatch a shock 2-1 comeback win over top-flight side Espanyol that sent them through to the semi-finals on away goals.
The 4-4 aggregate result, coming after last week`s first leg in Barcelona finished 3-2, prompted wild celebrations at the club`s 6,000-capacity stadium in Miranda de Ebro and set up a semi-final against Athletic Bilbao or Real Mallorca.
It was only the second time a team from the third level of Spanish soccer has reached the last four of the Cup, as Mirandes, who have an annual budget of just over 1.2 million euros, followed up their unlikely successes against La Liga clubs Villareal and Racing Santander with another heroic display.
"This is amazing," captain Pablo Infante, a local bank employee who netted the equaliser and provided the assist for the dramatic winner, told Spanish television.
"Tomorrow I have to go to work but we are going to celebrate a bit first," he added.
Espanyol came from two goals down to win the first leg at their Cornella stadium and looked to be cruising when Rui Fonte made it 1-0 and 4-2 on aggregate shortly after halftime.
Infante levelled with just over half an hour left and the home side made a mockery of their humble status by laying siege to the Espanyol goal in the final stages before Cesar netted the crucial goal in the second minute of added time.
Fans spilled onto the pitch to celebrate with their heroes and the victory prompted messages of congratulation from Spanish internationals including captain Iker Casillas, defender Gerard Pique and midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
"Incredible. I am speechless. Spectacular, that`s what football is all about," Fabregas wrote on his Twitter feed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM