Mizoram enter U-14 Subroto Cup semis, Delhi beat TN in U-17
New Delhi: Government Chawmgfianga Middle School, Mizoram edged out Govt Model school, Chandigarh 1-0 to enter the U-14 boys` semifinals of the 54th Subroto Cup here on Saturday.
Lalawmsanga (44th min) scored the winner for Mizoram. The winners will play NCC (North Eastern Region) in the semifinals. Although Mizoram schools have won the title in the past, this is the first time that Chawmfianga School have gone to the last four stage.
The U-14 boys` quarterfinal was an exciting encounter between the tall, powerful players of Chandigarh and the speedy boys from Mizoram.
The forward line which has ripped apart rival defences in all their previous matches, Mizoram dominated proceedings, but the sturdy Chandigarh defenders did well to hold them at bay for most of the game.
The deadlock was finally broken by Lalwmsanga who headed in a cross to seal victory for Mizoram. Lalwmsanga, who is the third highest scorer so far, now has nine goals to his name. Meanwhile, in the U-17 boys category, local contenders DPS, Vasant Kunj recovered from the loss in the opening match to post a comfortable 4-0 win over LK Higher Secondary School, Tamil Nadu.
In other U-17 boys` matches, North Eastern English School, Manipur opened their campaign with an easy 6-0 win over minnows Car Nicobar. Md Siraj led the way for Manipur with a fine hat-trick.
Chhattisgarh and Army Boys also won their respective matches.
Meanwhile, in the opening match of the girls` competition, last year`s best female player Offee smashed a hat-trick to spearhead title contenders Saiaithanga Memorial School, Aizawl, Mizoram to a 7-0 thrashing of Shaheed Utkrusht Higher Secondary School, Madhya Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America