MLS announces longest ever season for 2012
Los Angeles: The 2012 Major League Soccer (MLS) season will be the longest ever, spanning 267 days from the March 10 first kick to the December 1 MLS Cup, MLS said.
Each of the league`s 19 clubs will play 34 matches, 17 at home and 17 away, and all 323 matches will be televised live.
In a significant change, MLS did not initially schedule any games on FIFA international fixture dates, although clubs can still play on those dates if there is agreement by both teams.
"Thus, a small number of games do occur on select FIFA fixture dates," MLS said in a statement.
This move brings MLS in line with all the other top soccer leagues around the world after previously not opting to schedule breaks for FIFA fixture dates.
More than 83 percent of all MLS games will take place on weekends or holidays, and 38 regular season games will be shown on the NBC Sports Network under a new three-year television deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir