London: David Beckham could have a Major League Soccer expansion team in Miami within 30 days.
MLS commissioner Don Garber said an announcement is expected in the next month regarding Beckham`s bid for a Miami club, what would be the 22nd team in the North American league.
That`s the most encouraging sign in the ongoing story of the retired English star midfielder`s bid to obtain a team in Miami, which has been stalled as talks for the building of a new stadium have continued with city officials.
"I was down there this past weekend and I have been down there a lot, working with potential ownership and trying to finalize a stadium plan," Garber said in Philadelphia on Thursday at the MLS draft.
"Right now, we have got a lot of work to do and we will announce something in early February."
Beckham was given the opportunity to purchase an expansion team at a discount, reportedly $25 million, as part of the 2007 deal that lured him to play for the MLS Los Angeles Galaxy and Beckham has been focused on the Miami market along with several backers, including Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure and British businessman Simon Fuller.
Garber said in December that he was optimistic about MLS putting an expansion club in Miami last month provided a stadium deal could be struck.
Miami officials agreed last month to talk with Beckham about a privately financed stadium in the Port Miami area.
Exactly when a Miami team might begin play was unclear. Expansion teams in New York and Orlando are set to be launched next year.