MLS plans Beckham Miami team news within 30 days
London: David Beckham could have a Major League Soccer expansion team in Miami within 30 days.
MLS commissioner Don Garber said an announcement is expected in the next month regarding Beckham`s bid for a Miami club, what would be the 22nd team in the North American league.
That`s the most encouraging sign in the ongoing story of the retired English star midfielder`s bid to obtain a team in Miami, which has been stalled as talks for the building of a new stadium have continued with city officials.
"I was down there this past weekend and I have been down there a lot, working with potential ownership and trying to finalize a stadium plan," Garber said in Philadelphia on Thursday at the MLS draft.
"Right now, we have got a lot of work to do and we will announce something in early February."
Beckham was given the opportunity to purchase an expansion team at a discount, reportedly $25 million, as part of the 2007 deal that lured him to play for the MLS Los Angeles Galaxy and Beckham has been focused on the Miami market along with several backers, including Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure and British businessman Simon Fuller.
Garber said in December that he was optimistic about MLS putting an expansion club in Miami last month provided a stadium deal could be struck.
Miami officials agreed last month to talk with Beckham about a privately financed stadium in the Port Miami area.
Exactly when a Miami team might begin play was unclear. Expansion teams in New York and Orlando are set to be launched next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day