Modric thanks Spurs for Real Madrid chance
Madrid: Croatian footballer Luka Modric has thanked the fans and his former club Tottenham Hotspurs after he joined Spanish giants Real Madrid in a deal worth around 35 million euros.
Modric also looked back over his time in London with Tottenham, who he helped guide to a fourth place finish last season. He said Wednesday that his move to Madrid was partly thanks to the English side, reports Xinhua.
"I spent four incredible years there. I would like to thank everyone in the club, the people who helped me in London. I want to thank the fans, because they treated me very well, they gave me a lot of affection and respect... it was a mutual feeling.
I want to thank my teammates too. Thanks to them I`m here now, and thanks to Tottenham as a club as well. I only have good memories from over there," commented Modric.
The Croatian midfielder, who will be 28 at the start of next month, spoke to Real Madrid TV about his hopes for his career in Spain, while also reflecting on his four years with Spurs and also his roots at Dynamo Zagreb.
"It means a great deal to me to join Real Madrid, because it`s a great club. This is a club that always fights for all possible titles. It makes me proud and it is an honour to be a part of this club. I hope to be able to help the team to win the maximum number of trophies," said Modric, who was delighted to be able to work with Madrid coach, Jose Mourinho.
"It`s incredible for such a good coach to want me. What`s more, I was willing to wait until the last day in order to be here. I owe him everything and I really want to play for him and for the team," insisted the midfielder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice