Mohammedan Sporting fire Nigerian coach
Kolkata: Alarmed by their team`s non performance in the I-League, Mohammedan Sporting sunday sacked their Nigerian coach Abdul Bola Moshood Aziz bringing back Sanjoy Sen.
"He (Abdul) has failed to put in the side together, be it in formation or controlling the game. We have asked him to part ways in a message sent to him in Goa," club president Sultan Ahmed told PTI soon after the team`s 1-3 away loss to Churchill Brothers on sunday.
Having suffered two consecutive losses on the back of three goalless draws, Mohammedan have slipped close to the relegation zone, lying 11th with 13 points in the 13-team table.
The Trinamool MP said the club management had warned the coach for the last five matches but they were helpless now.
"We have given him so many opportunities. We`d been patient with him. But he has failed again. It`s high time that we react to the situation. We feel Sanjoy is the best person to take charge," Ahmed said.
Highlighting the Nigerian`s drawbacks, he said, "We have such a good side with Joshimar (d`Silva Martins) who is the leading scorer at the moment, while (Orji) Penn is doing well. But the coach has failed to bring out the best."
It was Sen who had guided the team to the top tier I-League after four years but the club had made a change in guard, roping in the 44-year-old Nigerian in June before the season began.
Under Abdul, Mohammedan Sporting had kicked off the season in style by winning the Durand Cup for the first time in 73 years.
However, their I-League performance was left much to be desired as they have lost six times and have only been able to win thrice from 13 outings.
Besides escaping relegation, the Federation Cup will be their target, Sultan said.
"We`re looking forward to the Federation Cup. Sanjoy has previous experience and I hope he is able to bring out the best."
Meanwhile, the club will appeal the AIFF to waive the Rs 80,000 fine imposed on them for rude fan behaviour during their slender 2-3 loss to Bengaluru FC.
The Trinamool MP said he would call on Union Minister and AIFF boss Praful Patel in the capital to sort out the matter.
"We are a fan base club. It`s up to the police to provide the law and order. Still, I would personally appeal to look into the matter. I will also appeal on behalf of our coach who was fined Rs 10,000," Sultan added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed