Monaco slapped with two-point deduction by LFP
Monaco: Monaco have been issued a three-point deduction (one suspended) and ordered to play one match behind closed doors following crowd trouble, the Professional Football League (LFP) confirmed.
The Principality-based outfit were punished for supporters` actions during the aftermath of the 2-1 victory over Le Mans in May.
The incident occurred after Claudio Ranieri`s men were officially crowned Ligue 2 champions, when the home supporters invaded the pitch which resulted in the referee being hit by a fan.
The LFP released a statement illustrating why the punishment has been carried out, which read: "Behaviour of Monaco fans: the use of pyrotechnics, the pitch-invasion at the end of the match and the brutality towards the referee by one supporter."
Monaco are widely expected to launch a title charge this season having spent big to bring in the likes of Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho to Stade Louis II during the summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!