Monchengladbach, Wolfsburg share points in German Bundesliga
Berlin: Bas Doost secured Wolfsburg a late two-all draw bringing Monchengladbach`s home winning streak to an end, at the last game in the German Bundesliga round 17.
The "Foals" moved on 3rd place to overwinter on an UEFA Champions League berth meanwhile the "Wolves" stay on 5th position, recording the best first half of the campaign in their club history, Xinhua reported Monday.
Both teams started with a wait-and-watch strategy therefore goal scoring opportunities were a rare occurrence in the opening period.
But, things changed just before the half-hour mark when Monchengladbach`s custodian Marc Andre ter Stegen denied Wolfsburg`s Ivica Olic and Maximilian Arnold the opener.
After the restart, Wolfsburg were rewarded for their efforts as Diego made use of Ricardo Rodriguez pinpoint cross into the box to break the deadlock at the 53rd minute.
It was a short-lived joy by Wolfsburg as Monchengladbach responded six minutes later through Raffael, whose solo run and goal into the far post corner restored parity.
The "Foals" were not done with the scoring as Juan Arango turned the tides from 27 meters with a well-placed dead ball over the wall into the top right corner, at the 64th minute.
The host tried to kill the game with a third goal but instead Wolfsburg`s joker striker Bas Doost netted the equalizer at the 85th minute to snatch one point on the road.
"That was totally unnecessary. We should have added a third goal but instead we have to swallow a later equalizer," Monchengladbach coach Lucien Favre said.
"We saw a terrific match by both sides. I think it`s a fair and deserved 2-2 draw," Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking said.
The German Bundesliga continues with the 18th round on Jan 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM