Montpellier confirm Arsenal-bound Giroud`s exit
Kyiv, Ukraine: Montpellier president Louis Nicollin has confirmed that Olivier Giroud is leaving the club amidst widespread speculation that the forward is on the verge of joining Arsenal.
As revealed by Goal.com earlier this month, the Ligue 1 champions have already agreed a fee with the north London outfit for the France international and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger confirmed last week that the deal was "90 per cent done".
While Nicollin refused to disclose any details regarding the proposed transfer, he did admit that the player would be departing the Stade de la Mosson.
"I wish him well because he`s a good kid," the Montpellier supremo is quoted as saying by Midi Libre.
Meanwhile, Nicollin`s son, Laurent, who is the club`s deputy chairman, all but admitted that Giroud`s transfer to Arsenal was effectively a done deal.
"The negotiations have gone very well," he told RMC Sport. "We have been in agreement for some days now."
Giroud hit 21 goals during his club`s title-winning campaign last season, prompting links with various clubs around Europe in recent months, including Bayern Munich.
However, Arsenal have met the striker`s release clause, which is believed to be €15 million, and the 25-year-old has agreed a deal with the Gunners which will treble his current wage.
Giroud will be the English side`s second high-profile signing of the summer, with Germany international Lukas Podolski already having been acquired from Koln.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh