Morgan resigns as East Bengal coach after club`s CFL triumph
Kolkata: On a day when East Bengal lifted the Calcutta Football League (Premier Division) title for a record 33rd time, their coach Trevor James Morgan resigned from his post, apparently due to major differences with club officials.
It was ironical that Tolgay Ozbey`s four-goal blitz, which paved the way for East Bengal`s 6-0 rout of Mohammedan Sporting 6-0 here today, was followed by Morgan`s resignation.
East Bengal did not confirm Morgan`s resignation but it was learnt that the Englishman did not attend the press conference after the match, and emailed his resignation from his flat.
Club secretary Kalyan Majumdar told PTI that he only heard it from the media.
"I`m not aware of his resignation," Majumdar said.
Insiders claimed that Morgan was unhappy with the club officials` high-handedness for quite a long time. "He is determined not to stay here and taking a flight home tonight itself," an insider claimed.
Incidentally, today`s match was Ozbey`s last with the red-and-gold brigade.
East Bengal finished with 24 points while bitter rivals Mohun Bagan (20) had to settle for the runners-up position after losing to United SC 0-2 in Siliguri.
In the one-sided affair at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan, Ozbey`s hattrick (16th, 34th and 41st) ensured East Bengal take a commanding 3-0 lead at the break.
On resumption, Ozbey added one more to his tally in the 56th minute, while Seiminlen Doungel (67th) and Orji Penn (87th) completed the rout.
Mohun Bagan, meanwhile, finished the season with a thrashing by United SC.
Joshimar D`Silva Martins (12th) and Kayne Vincent (90+4th) scored for the United SC who finished No 3 in the local league.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore