Morgan resigns as East Bengal coach after club`s CFL triumph
Kolkata: On a day when East Bengal lifted the Calcutta Football League (Premier Division) title for a record 33rd time, their coach Trevor James Morgan resigned from his post, apparently due to major differences with club officials.
It was ironical that Tolgay Ozbey`s four-goal blitz, which paved the way for East Bengal`s 6-0 rout of Mohammedan Sporting 6-0 here today, was followed by Morgan`s resignation.
East Bengal did not confirm Morgan`s resignation but it was learnt that the Englishman did not attend the press conference after the match, and emailed his resignation from his flat.
Club secretary Kalyan Majumdar told PTI that he only heard it from the media.
"I`m not aware of his resignation," Majumdar said.
Insiders claimed that Morgan was unhappy with the club officials` high-handedness for quite a long time. "He is determined not to stay here and taking a flight home tonight itself," an insider claimed.
Incidentally, today`s match was Ozbey`s last with the red-and-gold brigade.
East Bengal finished with 24 points while bitter rivals Mohun Bagan (20) had to settle for the runners-up position after losing to United SC 0-2 in Siliguri.
In the one-sided affair at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan, Ozbey`s hattrick (16th, 34th and 41st) ensured East Bengal take a commanding 3-0 lead at the break.
On resumption, Ozbey added one more to his tally in the 56th minute, while Seiminlen Doungel (67th) and Orji Penn (87th) completed the rout.
Mohun Bagan, meanwhile, finished the season with a thrashing by United SC.
Joshimar D`Silva Martins (12th) and Kayne Vincent (90+4th) scored for the United SC who finished No 3 in the local league.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani