Morocco football ex-captain heavily fined for defamation
Casablanca: A former captain of Raja Casablanca was ordered Monday to pay around 30,000 euros in fines and damages, after he accused the Moroccan football club of trying to fix matches.
Last September, Amin Erbati told a Moroccan newspaper that he was asked several times during the 2012-2013 season to bribe opponents. The Casablanca club eventually won the league, but Erbati`s contract was not renewed.
The 33-year-old has been absent throughout the trial, reportedly leaving his home several days before it began in October, and may currently be in Spain, according to the Moroccan press.
"I agreed to play despicable, base roles for the love of Raja... I tried to bribe the players of several teams... offering them money to lift their feet, but they refused," Erbati said during the interview.
The Casablanca court ordered him to pay a 10,000 dirham (900 euro) fine, and damages worth 150,000 dirhams (13,500 euro) to his former club, which has always vigorously denied Erbati`s allegations and filed defamation charges against him.
He must also pay a fine and damages of the same value to Raja`s former coach Mhamed Fakhir, who filed similar charges.
Morocco`s most popular football club has won the national league 11 times and Africa CAF Champions League three times,
They created a sensation in December by reaching the final of the Club World Cup, hosted by Morocco, beating Mexico`s CF Monterrey and Brazilians Atletico Mineiro, before losing 2-0 to German champions Bayern Munich.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues