Mourinho donates Ballon d`Or for charity auction
Madrid: Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has offered his Fifa Ballon d`Or coaching award for auction. The award, given for his achievement of a treble with Inter in 2010, will be auctioned to support two organisations, including the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, the charity formed in memory of the coach`s former mentor.
After his retirement as a player, Mourinho first worked with Robson as an interpreter at Sporting Lisbon in 1992. The two went on to work together at Porto and Barcelona before the Portuguese began his career as a coach.
"The entire family is completely astounded by this generous gift from Mr. Mourinho," Robson`s son Mark told reporters. "We are thrilled and so thankful to him."
“My dad would have been so proud by the way all the different clubs and football managers around the world are pulling together by contributing such incredible prizes."
The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation was formed to support research for the early detection of cancer. In addition, part of the proceeds of the sale will fund Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!