Mourinho given green signal for spending spree?
London: New Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly been given the go-ahead to launch a major spending spree after the club signed a whopping 300 million-pound deal for ten years with a major clothing and accessories company.
The sponsorship is a world record fee for an agreement between a football club and a kit manufacturer, with the staggering figures easing Chelsea`s concerns about falling foul of UEFA`s new Financial Fair Play regulations.
With the deal breaking the previous landmark of 287 million pounds, which Manchester United signed with another clothing and accessories compnay for a 15-year term back in 2000, now Chelsea would no longer have to solely depend on billionaire owner Roman Abramovich to bankroll them.
According to Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay, the new deal reaffirms Adidas` belief in status of Chelsea in world football, with the report adding that success in the Champions League and Europa League, coupled with Mourinho`s return as manager, has raised the club`s global appeal.
Chelsea`s previous agreement with the company, first signed in 2006 and renegotiated in 2010, was worth around 20 million pounds a year.
The deal is the third major kit agreement in recent weeks after Arsenal signed a 30 million pounds-a-year deal with Puma and Liverpool signed for 25 million pounds-a-year with Warrior.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!