Mourinho hints at Barcelona interest in Pepe
Madrid: Jose Mourinho has hinted that Barcelona were interested in signing Pepe.
The 49-year-old made the claims at Friday`s press conference ahead of Real Madrid’ s clash with Celta Vigo on Saturday, following weeks of dispute between the fierce rivals over the player`s alleged conduct in matches between the two teams.
When asked about media speculation that Barcelona had compiled videos of Pepe committing fouls in Clasico matches he said: “I know nothing about a video of Pepe. I do know that while he was renewing his contract two big clubs pushed for him not to renew.”
“I do not know if one of those big clubs was the one who recorded a video,” he added.
Madrid go into this weekend’s clash missing several players, with seven of the squad picking up injuries during the international break.
The defence has been worst hit, with Marcelo, Fabio Coentrao, Raphael Varane and Alvaro Arbeloa all missing.
“We have some different choices to cover our positions, people that will adapt to the situation. It`s a perfect day for you to give me the line-up,” Mourinho joked with the press.
The former Inter coach then responded to speculation that he would draft in the services of youth player Nacho to fill the void.
He said: “I`ve thought of Nacho at left-back of course, but he`s just another one. I`ve already decided who will play there.
“Just a couple of minutes after the national matches ended I had decided who would start," he concluded.
Mourinho also took time out to say his side are more similar in style to Borussia Dortmund than they are to Barcelona.
“It doesn`t make sense. You can compare Barca with Arsenal, they have similar styles, but not with us. You could compare Borussia Dortmund with Real," he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla