Mourinho silly and disrespectful, says Wenger
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger continued the war of words with Jose Mourinho on Sunday, calling the Chelsea coach`s criticism of him 48 hours earlier "silly disrespectful remarks".
On Friday, Mourinho dubbed the Frenchman "a specialist in failure" for going almost nine years without winning a trophy.
Wenger was then on solid ground to offer a withering response after Arsenal edged a rousing FA Cup fifth-round tie against Liverpool 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium.
"I don`t want to get into those silly disrespectful remarks," Wenger told BT Sport television.
"I never spoke about him in my press conference and I will not start that. The only thing I know, it`s more embarrassing for Chelsea than for me.
"I am embarrassed for him ... honestly."
Twenty-four hours after Mourinho`s verbal attack on Wenger, his Chelsea side lost 2-0 at Manchester City in their fifth-round encounter.
"I am more disappointed for Chelsea than for me," added Wenger of the Portuguese`s verbal attack. "I am not interested in the subject at all and that is really genuine.
"Honestly I cannot force my interest in things I am not interested in," he told reporters. "I love football and I am sorry to disappoint you but what is interesting for me is what happens on the pitch."
Mourinho`s criticism was in response to Wenger who had said earlier on Friday that the Premier League title was Chelsea`s to lose as they were top of the table.
FEAR OF FAILURE
He also hinted that the Portuguese had ruled his side out of the race because of a fear of failure.
In terms of matters on the pitch, Arsenal were not at their best against Liverpool but took a 2-0 lead with goals from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lukas Podolski.
Liverpool struck back with a Steven Gerrard penalty after a foul on Luis Suarez, missed several other good chances and were denied a second spot kick by 2010 World Cup referee Howard Webb.
Suarez, tripped by Podolski for the first penalty, was involved again when he was clattered by Oxlade-Chamberlain but this time his appeals were waved away.
"The second one was even clearer than the first," said Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.
"Howard was in a great position. I am not sure if it was because it was so close to the other but we are bitterly disappointed.
"It looked a blatant penalty. It can be the defining moment once again."
The same referee also denied Liverpool a penalty when Suarez appeared to be fouled by Samuel Eto`o in their 2-1 league defeat at Chelsea in December.
Rodgers said he hoped Suarez`s reputation for going to ground too easily did not cloud Webb`s judgement.
"I think it`s the type of player he is. We provoke a lot of challenges because of the aggression in our offensive game," the Liverpool manager explained.
"Luis is always in the box and quite a lot of the time he does not get what he deserves. The one at Chelsea was a clear penalty and if it is a penalty he should have had it independently of his reputation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA