Mumbai City FC ropes in Peter Reid and Steve Darby for ISL
Mumbai City Football Club on Thursday named eminent English football manager Peter Reid as Team Manager and experienced coach Steve Darby as the assistant coach for their campaign at the Indian Super League (ISL).
New Delhi: Mumbai City Football Club on Thursday named eminent English football manager Peter Reid as Team Manager and experienced coach Steve Darby as the assistant coach for their campaign at the Indian Super League (ISL).
During his career as a Manager, Reid has been at the helm of affairs at top teams that include England Under-21, Manchester City, Sunderland, Leeds United, Coventry City, Thailand and Plymouth Argyle.
Speaking on the occasion, Reid, a former England midfielder, said: "It's a great opportunity to coach in the Indian Super League. I enjoyed working overseas with Thailand and I am very much looking forward to this new challenge!
"We have a very competitive side, Friedrich is a great signing, you don't win Germany caps by luck or play over 300 Bundesliga games!," he said.
Darby, who has coached in India, Bahrain, Australia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam in the past, said: "It's always good to be part of something new. A great combination of youth and experience is what every team aims for!
"To us, Friedrich and Cmov provide experience at the highest level, and in Subrata Paul, Syed Rahim Nabi and Deepak Mondal you have nearly 250 Indian caps," said Darby, who was appointed Manager of India giants Mohun Bagan AC in 2011.
The Englishmen have worked together during the past while coaching Thailand's national team.
As a top defensive midfielder, Reid had signed for Bolton Wanderers followed by Everton in 1982. At Everton, Reid played the most successful spell of his career, helping the squad win the English Football League twice apart from other domestic and European honors.
In 1985, Reid was voted PFA Players' Player of the Year. He came fourth in the World Soccer Player of the Year award behind icons Michel Platini, Preben Elkjr and Diego Maradona. He also received his first senior England call-up that year and represented his country at the 1986 FIFA World Cup and 1988 UEFA European Championship. He won 13 caps in total.
Reid had joined Queens Park Rangers in 1989, but moved on to Manchester City a year later to begin his managerial career. Under his leadership, Sunderland won the Football League's First Division twice while the Thai national team won the T&T Cup.
In 1996, he was awarded LMA Manager of the Year in England. The winner can come from any of the four professional leagues. To date only three have come from outside the Premier League, Reid being one of them.
Talking about the ISL, Reid said: "I've watched a few Indian national team games and was very impressed with some of the players. I am convinced the ISL will eventually help the national team rise up the FIFA rankings."
After obtaining his UEFA A License in 1979, Darby became an official FIFA Instructor for the Oceania region in 1981 and AFC Instructor 1998.
Followed by this, he was National Development Manager for the Australian Soccer Federation from 1990 to 1995. Darby has spent the last 16 years coaching football clubs in India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand.
Darby hopes the ISL will help raise the quality of football in the country in the coming years.
"I have seen the effect the IPL has had on cricket and hopefully this will happen with football in India. India has great players I hope this leads to further opportunities for them," Darby said.
Talking about the Mumbai City FC Squad, Darby said, "I have worked with Nabi before at Mohun Bagan, and believe he is one of the best all round footballers I have ever worked with. I have no doubt he could play English championship level football.
"Subrata is a top keeper and he was outstanding in the AFC Asian Cup. Bobby Houghton thought he was one of the best keepers he had worked with. I commentated on the India games at the Asian Cup and I kept saying... Great save by Subrata!."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared