Mumbai FC complete historic win over Churchill Brothers
Mapusa (Goa): Mumbai FC logged a memorable first-ever away game win over Churchill Brothers in the Goans` backyard here on Saturday.
The victory was their first in the ongoing I-League 2013-14.
Second half goals by striker Orok Essien (46th minute) and midfielder Climax Lawrence (87th) completed an impressive 2-0 score-line over the defending champions in a Round-3 encounter at the Duler Stadium.
The win helped Mumbai FC jump from sixth spot into second behind United SC.
Overall this was the second time ever that Mumbai FC had beaten the Goans in 11 meetings. The other win (2-1) was logged in a home game at the Balewadi Sports Complex.
Mumbai FC`s feat was possible after standout performances by custodian Kunal Sawant who saved a penalty-kick taken by Henry Antchouet in the first half, before making a goalline save in the next.
Similarly, Valeriano Rebello`s timely clearance to deny rival striker Henry and a solid performance by Haroon Amiri, Kamaljeet Kumar and debutant Sandjar Ahmadi led to Mumbai FC`s success.
Into injury time, Mumbai FC`s Valeriano ensured his team walked out with a clean sheet thwarting a certain goal by Henry who chased a long ball, got in the clear and managed to tap over the onrushing Kunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof