My dream is Champions League football for Liverpool: Suarez
London: The 25-year-old Uruguayan forward wants to achieve `big things` at Anfield after signing a new contract in August, and longs to play in Europe`s top club competition for the Reds
Luis Suarez says his "dream and desire" is to play in the Champions League for Liverpool, and insists he will be at the club "for many years to come" after signing a long-term contract in August.
The Uruguay international has been in great form for Brendan Rodgers` side this season despite the team`s domestic struggles, finding the net 11 times in the Premier League and dazzling fans with impressive attacking play.
And despite the Merseyside club being five points off of the top four going in to Christmas, the 25-year-old striker wants to achieve "big things" at Anfield, starting with qualifying for Europe`s top club competition.
"My dream and desire is to play in the Champions League and achieve big things with Liverpool, because they`re the club I wanted to play for, and now that I`m here, I want to stay for a long time," Suarez told The Daily Mail.
"Just like I waited to play in the Champions League with Ajax and I had that chance, now I hope the same thing happens with Liverpool.
"All I can say is that my head is here now and for many years to come."
The Liverpool forward has had a number of controversial moments during his time in England, and has been repeatedly criticised for going to ground too easily, although he argues it is merely a reflex reaction in a physical league.
He explained: "Sometimes you`re standing there and someone comes flying in, so you move your leg out of the way or you go to ground because you’re scared of getting hit.
"If I leave my leg there so the referee can see it’s a foul, I risk suffering a big injury. That’s why sometimes your instinct tells you to go to ground.
"It`s a split-second instinct, not a conscious decision you make on the pitch. Of course, I don`t want people to go around saying `this guy just dives`."
However, Suarez also suggests he is attempting to mend his ways in terms of diving in order to become a more successful player in the Premier League.
"I`m trying to change and to avoid [diving] because I know that football is different here, and it`s helping me at the same time," he added.
Brendan Rodgers` side picked up an emphatic 4-0 win over Fulham at Anfield on Saturday to put themselves eighth in the table, and travel to Stoke on Boxing Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi