My family told me to quit after World Cup: Fred

Former Brazilian striker Fred has revealed his family asked him to quit after Brazil's World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany in July 2014.

My family told me to quit after World Cup: Fred

Rio de Janeiro: Former Brazilian striker Fred has revealed his family asked him to quit after Brazil's World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany in July 2014.

The Fluminense striker was widely criticised after scoring just one goal for the tournament as Brazil's designated central striker, reports Xinhua.

"I saw the people who I love most, my family, suffering and losing strength," the 31-year-old said Friday.

"They asked me to stop playing football and go to the countryside. I tried to give it some time. I spoke with (Fluminense officials) and they said that I could take all the time I needed to rest."

Fred's nadir came in the 1-7 defeat to Germany in Belo Horizonte, a match described as a national tragedy by Brazil's media.

The striker was jeered by Brazil fans when he was substituted with Willian in the 69th minute.

After the match, Fred announced his retirement from international football. He told local media the result would "leave a scar that we'll have to carry for the rest of our lives".

But better times lay ahead for the former Lyon forward. He recovered his confidence and form to be the leading scorer in Brazil's Serie A last year with 18 goals.

This year he has already scored five goals from six matches for Fluminense in Rio de Janeiro's state league.

"All I can say is that it (the World Cup) was very tough. I said that I wouldn't play again in 2014, but time heals all wounds," Fred said.

 

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close