Napoli need a 40-goal-a-season striker: Benitez
Rome: Napoli boss Rafael Benitez has revealed that the club are in the market for a striker who can net them 40 goals a season.
With star forward Edinson Cavani - who struck 38 times in all competitions last season - seemingly set to join Paris Saint-Germain, the Partenopei coach has made a top-quality replacement his primary objective.
Real Madrid`s Gonzalo Higuain and Internacional hitman Leandro Damiao have both been strongly linked with a move to the San Paolo in recent days, but Benitez was keeping his cards close to his chest during his first media grilling as Napoli boss on Sunday.
“We`re looking for a striker who can score 40 goals per season," the Spaniard told reporters. "But there are not too many of them around."
Consequently, Benitez is buoyed by his side`s recent capture of Jose Callejon from Real Madrid, as he believes the winger is capable of getting his name on the scoresheet with great regularity.
"We have a number of players who can grab goals for us and we want to improve on last season’s figures," the former Liverpool manager explained.
"We’re not interested in players whose reputations go before them. Callejon for example, can score between 10 to 20 goals per season."
Benitez has arrived at the San Paolo after a short - but successful - stint at Chelsea, during which he lifted the Europa League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much
- World Bank chief meets PM Modi, promises support to sustainable development