Napoli sign Uruguay World Cup forward Cavani
Milan: Napoli signed Uruguay World Cup forward Edinson Cavani from Palermo on Saturday, one of the first big moves in Serie A during the close-season transfer window.
"I have already talked with Cavani on the telephone. He is happy, enthusiastic and wants to start this new adventure," Napoli sporting director Riccardo Bigon told the club`s website without giving details of deal.
Cavani, 23, scored once and linked well with fellow forwards Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez in Uruguay`s surprise run to the semi-finals of the World Cup, and now joins international team mate Walter Gargano in Naples.
The arrival of Cavani, who had been linked in the media with Inter Milan, opens the door for striker German Denis to sign for Udinese given Napoli also boast Italy forward Fabio Quagliarella and Argentine frontman Ezequiel Lavezzi.
Palermo finished fifth in Serie A last term, a spot above Napoli, and the wisdom of selling one of their best players to a direct rival has upset some fans in Sicily.
The Italian league could be more open than for several years in the coming season given ageing Inter will struggle to match last term`s stunning treble success and AC Milan and AS Roma are keeping a low profile in the transfer market.
Juventus are rebuilding after last season`s dreadful showing so there could be space for a club such as Napoli or Palermo to break into the top four.
Napoli have also loaned winger Jesus Datolo to Spain`s Espanyol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed