Neill named ambassador for 2015 Asian Cup
Sydney: Socceroos captain Lucas Neill was Tuesday appointed an ambassador for the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia as the tournament marked its 500-day countdown.
"I have long dreamed of a football event this big coming to Australian shores," said Neill, 35, who has played in the Socceroos` previous two Asian Cup campaigns.
"I am passionate about growing the game in Australia and the Asian Cup is a great opportunity for fans to see world-class football right in their backyard."
The tournament kicks off on January 9, less than six months after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea have already qualified for the Asian Cup, with the other 12 teams yet to be determined.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle and Canberra will all host matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray