Neill named ambassador for 2015 Asian Cup
Sydney: Socceroos captain Lucas Neill was Tuesday appointed an ambassador for the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia as the tournament marked its 500-day countdown.
"I have long dreamed of a football event this big coming to Australian shores," said Neill, 35, who has played in the Socceroos` previous two Asian Cup campaigns.
"I am passionate about growing the game in Australia and the Asian Cup is a great opportunity for fans to see world-class football right in their backyard."
The tournament kicks off on January 9, less than six months after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea have already qualified for the Asian Cup, with the other 12 teams yet to be determined.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle and Canberra will all host matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview