Neill named ambassador for 2015 Asian Cup
Sydney: Socceroos captain Lucas Neill was Tuesday appointed an ambassador for the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia as the tournament marked its 500-day countdown.
"I have long dreamed of a football event this big coming to Australian shores," said Neill, 35, who has played in the Socceroos` previous two Asian Cup campaigns.
"I am passionate about growing the game in Australia and the Asian Cup is a great opportunity for fans to see world-class football right in their backyard."
The tournament kicks off on January 9, less than six months after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea have already qualified for the Asian Cup, with the other 12 teams yet to be determined.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle and Canberra will all host matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march
- Bernie Sanders to emphasise agreements with Hillary Clinton at National Convention