Neill named ambassador for 2015 Asian Cup
Sydney: Socceroos captain Lucas Neill was Tuesday appointed an ambassador for the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia as the tournament marked its 500-day countdown.
"I have long dreamed of a football event this big coming to Australian shores," said Neill, 35, who has played in the Socceroos` previous two Asian Cup campaigns.
"I am passionate about growing the game in Australia and the Asian Cup is a great opportunity for fans to see world-class football right in their backyard."
The tournament kicks off on January 9, less than six months after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Australia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea have already qualified for the Asian Cup, with the other 12 teams yet to be determined.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle and Canberra will all host matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!