Netherlands bid for four Euro matches in Amsterdam
The Hague: The Dutch football association KNVB has officially proposed Amsterdam as host city candidate for four matches during Euro 2020, the KNVB announced.
The Netherlands will present Amsterdam as host city in three group phase matches and one match in the last sixteen. In that case, and if the Oranje qualify, the Dutch will play two matches at home, reports Xinhua.
To mark the 60th anniversary of the European football association UEFA, Euro 2020 will be held in thirteen different countries. Twelve cities may host three group phase matches and one last-16 or quarterfinal match.
The 13th city will host the semi-finals and the final. From the quarterfinals, a stadium capacity of 60,000 people is required. The 53,000-seat Amsterdam Arena currently does not meet the latter standard.
In September, the KNVB had already expressed its interest in proposing Amsterdam as one of the host cities. During a general meeting of the Dutch professional football section in Zeist, the green light was given to prepare a bid book, which should be ready April 25, next year. In September 2014, the UEFA executive committee will decide on the appointment of the host cities.
In the forthcoming months, a project group will prepare the Dutch bid book in cooperation with representatives of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, the city of Amsterdam, the Amsterdam Arena stadium and Airport Schiphol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note