Netherlands bid for four Euro matches in Amsterdam
The Hague: The Dutch football association KNVB has officially proposed Amsterdam as host city candidate for four matches during Euro 2020, the KNVB announced.
The Netherlands will present Amsterdam as host city in three group phase matches and one match in the last sixteen. In that case, and if the Oranje qualify, the Dutch will play two matches at home, reports Xinhua.
To mark the 60th anniversary of the European football association UEFA, Euro 2020 will be held in thirteen different countries. Twelve cities may host three group phase matches and one last-16 or quarterfinal match.
The 13th city will host the semi-finals and the final. From the quarterfinals, a stadium capacity of 60,000 people is required. The 53,000-seat Amsterdam Arena currently does not meet the latter standard.
In September, the KNVB had already expressed its interest in proposing Amsterdam as one of the host cities. During a general meeting of the Dutch professional football section in Zeist, the green light was given to prepare a bid book, which should be ready April 25, next year. In September 2014, the UEFA executive committee will decide on the appointment of the host cities.
In the forthcoming months, a project group will prepare the Dutch bid book in cooperation with representatives of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, the city of Amsterdam, the Amsterdam Arena stadium and Airport Schiphol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie