Newcastle boss bars footballer from national duty
London: Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists his football club need striker Nigerian Shola Ameobi for the English Premier League and won`t spare him for the January Africa Cup of Nations.
The 31-year-old Ameobi had been named in Nigeria`s provisional squad for the tournament in South Africa starting Jan 19, reports Xinhua.
"Shola won`t be going to that, and the national team manager knows the reasons behind that, which I am going to keep to myself," said Pardew.
Ameobi, who once played for the England Under-21 side, scored the winning goal in Newcastle`s 1-0 win over QPR Saturday.
He made his Nigeria debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence hits Tamil Nadu; CM Panneerselvam tables bill in Assembly
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog