Newcastle boss bars footballer from national duty
London: Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists his football club need striker Nigerian Shola Ameobi for the English Premier League and won`t spare him for the January Africa Cup of Nations.
The 31-year-old Ameobi had been named in Nigeria`s provisional squad for the tournament in South Africa starting Jan 19, reports Xinhua.
"Shola won`t be going to that, and the national team manager knows the reasons behind that, which I am going to keep to myself," said Pardew.
Ameobi, who once played for the England Under-21 side, scored the winning goal in Newcastle`s 1-0 win over QPR Saturday.
He made his Nigeria debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda