Newcastle boss bars footballer from national duty
London: Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists his football club need striker Nigerian Shola Ameobi for the English Premier League and won`t spare him for the January Africa Cup of Nations.
The 31-year-old Ameobi had been named in Nigeria`s provisional squad for the tournament in South Africa starting Jan 19, reports Xinhua.
"Shola won`t be going to that, and the national team manager knows the reasons behind that, which I am going to keep to myself," said Pardew.
Ameobi, who once played for the England Under-21 side, scored the winning goal in Newcastle`s 1-0 win over QPR Saturday.
He made his Nigeria debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals