Newcastle`s Best ruled out with knee injury
London: Newcastle United striker Leon Best faces a long spell on the sidelines after injuring his knee in Sunday`s Premier League victory over Aston Villa.
"Leon Best will have a scan on Tuesday on his injured left knee and is likely to be out for a number of weeks," the club said on their website (www.nufc.co.uk).
Local media reported Newcastle manager Alan Pardew as saying the player would be out for up to six weeks.
The 25-year-old Ireland striker was forced out of Sunday`s 2-1 home win after 14 minutes and was replaced by new signing Papiss Cisse who scored a spectacular winning goal on his debut.
There was better news for Newcastle midfielder Ryan Taylor who was carried off on a stretcher in the same game after a collision with Villa defender Stephen Warnock in the build-up to the hosts` opening goal.
"Fortunately, Ryan Taylor did not sustain a fracture to his lower right leg which was X-rayed on Sunday afternoon," the club said.
"His injury is limited to soft tissue damage for which he is now receiving treatment from the club`s medical team."
Sunday`s win moved Newcastle up to fifth in the Premier League, one point behind Chelsea in fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack