Neymar can be more complete than Messi and Maradona, says Pele
Former Brazil ace Pele has reopened the debate over who the world`s best player is, again lauding Santos starlet Neymar as the globe`s finest ahead of Barcelona`s Lionel Messi and former Argentina player and coach Diego Maradona.
The 1958 World Cup winner has an uneasy relationship with Maradona, with the pair often engaging in discussions over who is the world`s current and best ever footballers.
"For me, Maradona was a great player, but only really used his left leg. Messi resembles him in that sense," the former Santos and New York Cosmos forward opined at a book unveiling in Sao Paolo.
"[Neymar] has the potential to overcome both by being more complete."
Pele scored an astonishing 1,281 goals during his career, which spanned from 1956 to 1977. Neymar has so far racked up 133, and his admirer admits it will be hard for him to equal or better his tally.
"It is hard to say yes or no, but it will be difficult," the 71-year old chuckled.
"Neymar is an exceptional player, but at times he has showed he is not mature enough for some responsibilities. He has ability."
Neymar recently returned to his club following Brazil`s unsuccessful Olympic campaign, which saw them miss out on a gold medal following their 2-1 final loss against Mexico. The forward was often the subject of cheers at the event, and Pele believes this would have not happened in his time as a player.
"Today the players send a kiss to the camera and it appears worldwide. In my day, we had to play in every country to be known. It`s only because I didn`t play on the moon that I wasn`t famous there," the Brazilian joked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!