Neymar can be more complete than Messi and Maradona, says Pele
Former Brazil ace Pele has reopened the debate over who the world`s best player is, again lauding Santos starlet Neymar as the globe`s finest ahead of Barcelona`s Lionel Messi and former Argentina player and coach Diego Maradona.
The 1958 World Cup winner has an uneasy relationship with Maradona, with the pair often engaging in discussions over who is the world`s current and best ever footballers.
"For me, Maradona was a great player, but only really used his left leg. Messi resembles him in that sense," the former Santos and New York Cosmos forward opined at a book unveiling in Sao Paolo.
"[Neymar] has the potential to overcome both by being more complete."
Pele scored an astonishing 1,281 goals during his career, which spanned from 1956 to 1977. Neymar has so far racked up 133, and his admirer admits it will be hard for him to equal or better his tally.
"It is hard to say yes or no, but it will be difficult," the 71-year old chuckled.
"Neymar is an exceptional player, but at times he has showed he is not mature enough for some responsibilities. He has ability."
Neymar recently returned to his club following Brazil`s unsuccessful Olympic campaign, which saw them miss out on a gold medal following their 2-1 final loss against Mexico. The forward was often the subject of cheers at the event, and Pele believes this would have not happened in his time as a player.
"Today the players send a kiss to the camera and it appears worldwide. In my day, we had to play in every country to be known. It`s only because I didn`t play on the moon that I wasn`t famous there," the Brazilian joked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price