Neymar chose sport over money by joining Barca: Vilanova
Barcelona: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova believes that Neymar chose sporting opportunities over financial gain by joining the club ahead of Real Madrid.
The 21-year-old has signed a five-year deal with the Liga champions after Santos accepted a €28 million offer earlier this week, and the trainer was thrilled to beat off rival suitors to capture their long-term transfer target.
"We have to congratulate the technical staff for the signing of Neymar," he told reporters after his side`s 2-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday.
"It is an important signing. We have been very attentive for some time because he could have had other, and better, proposals.
"I also have to congratulate Neymar for choosing a sporting project and not a financial one. I have confidence he will do well in Europe and he will help us to become even greater.
"Neymar is the player we were looking for. We asked two and a half years ago. The club has been very successful and has done things very well, as we did with Jordi Alba last year. He progressed very well with the rest.
"His qualities are well known. All we are interested in is that he is a high-level player.
"If they say Neymar is a `YouTube player` then it`s a good thing, because he has had some great games and great goals. He has chosen Barcelona because he believes he can adapt well to our play. If he had been looking for money, there would have been nothing for Barca to do.
"It`s a dream to have an attack like this. With so many better players we will have more chances to win. Now, we have to combine them in the best way, as we have done before. If Neymar comes it is because Barca are a long-term option for him."
Alexis Sanchez and Pedro struck the goals to seal a win against local rivals Espanyol on Sunday to keep Barca on track to reach 100 points for the season, and Vilanova insists his side will do their best to reach the milestone - even though it will not make up for the disappointment of their Champions League exit.
"We played a great game," he continued. "It was a shame we had injuries at a key moment. The team has a good level and we could have passed the semi-finals and the final of the Champions League otherwise. That`s already happened and I congratulate Bayern, but I insist, we have reached the end of the season at a good level.
"It`s better not to talk about these things [the 100 points tally]. Now we have won game to go, one victory, and we will have to try to win it. Although it is not a title, we are going to try."
Finally, Vilanova wished Jose Mourinho well as he prepares to depart Real Madrid at the end of the season, paying tribute to the 50-year-old`s winning mentality despite his oft-controversial behaviour.
"His arrival created a real buzz. He is one of the best coaches, and one of the most successful. I wish him well and wish him luck," Vilanova added.
"He has always managed to win. It`s in his own way, but he has always managed to win."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi