Neymar has sealed deal with Barcelona: Daniel Alves
Rio de Janeiro: Barcelona defender Daniel Alves says Neymar has already signed a deal to join Barcelona after his contract expires with Santos in July 2014.
The comments come a week after reports that Premier League outfit Manchester City is preparing to pay 55 million pounds to sign the striker this European summer. Real Madrid and Chelsea are also keen to secure the 21-year-old but Alves is adamant Neymar has already made up his mind, reports Xinhua.
"He knows what is happening and the deal that he has which is to come to the club in the near future. If I were him I would come as soon as possible because it would allow him to improve the tactical side of his game before the (2014) World Cup. Apart from that he would be coming to a club that would suit the qualities he has as a player," Alves said.
Last year reports in Spain said Barcelona had already made a 14 million euro down payment for the Brazilian star, who has also been urged to join the Catalan club by football legend Pele.
"I have already told him what I think. He knows what Barcelona can offer because I have made it my duty to tell him. But at the same time I can`t grab him and bring him here. If I could I would have already done it. It`s his decision," Alves said.
When asked if Neymar could reach the level of four-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi, Alves was non-committal.
"I don`t know if he can reach the level that Messi has reached but he could reach a similar level. When you think about what Messi has already achieved, it`s complicated. But there are players who have stood out in their generation and Neymar can certainly do that," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...