Neymar hits back at Lugano
Belo Horizonte: Neymar has hit back at claims of Uruguay captain Diego Lugano that he is "talented at winning free-kicks".
Speaking after Brazil`s 2-1 victory over Uruguay in Wednesday`s Confederations Cup semi-final at the Mineirao Stadium, Neymar moved to avoid a verbal confrontation with the centre-back, reports Xinhua.
"He has the right to say what he wants, it won`t affect me. I don`t pay any attention to it. What is important is that I help my team to win," the 21-year-old Barcelona striker said.
After the match, Lugano stood by the accusations he made Tuesday. When asked about a statement from Brazil`s football confederation (CBF) condemning Lugano`s comments, the Paris Saint-Germain defender expressed bemusement.
"Do you think I care about what the CBF or the media say? It doesn`t interest me. I say what I think without worrying about the reaction of others."
Neymar failed to score for the first time in the tournament Wednesday but played a role in both of Brazil`s goals. Fred`s opener came after a Neymar shot was blocked by Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera while he provided the assist for Paulinho`s late winner with a precise corner-kick.
Neymar said Brazil`s squad would keep a keen eye Thursday`s other semi-final between Spain and Italy in Fortaleza. But he declined to nominate a preferred rival for Sunday`s final at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
"You can`t choose who you play against. They are both difficult sides. We are going to be watching the match on a screen and try to be as prepared as possible," Neymar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy