Neymar inspires Brazil to friendly win over Portugal
Brasilia: Brazil survived an early scare and some physical tackling to beat Portugal 3-1 in a friendly in Boston that confirmed their early status as one of the favourites to win the World Cup on home soil next year.
The five-times world champions were inspired by Neymar, who had a hand in all three goals after Brazil had gone behind to an opportunist strike from Raul Meireles.
The young Barcelona striker was singled out by Portuguese defenders for some rough treatment early on but his passes led to goals for Thiago Silva, who headed home his corner kick, and Jo, who bundled the ball home from close range after Maxwell had pushed a Neymar pass across the front of goal.
Between those two scores, the former Santos player scored a brilliant individual goal that started when he ran at defenders from 40 yards out and culminated with an unstoppable shot from inside the penalty box.
"The important thing is not to react to the provocations and the professional fouls," he said when asked about the elbows and kicks repeatedly aimed at him.
The game was the biggest test for Brazil since they demolished world champions Spain to win the Confederations Cup in July.
They made just one change from the side that beat Australia 6-0 last weekend with Maxwell replacing Marcelo, who dropped out because of injury. Portugal were without the injured Cristiano Ronaldo.
Brazil started shakily but soon recovered and never looked like relinquishing control after Thiago Silva`s equaliser in the 24th minute.
Both sides noticeably lowered the tempo after halftime and the game petered out amid a slew of substitutions.
Brazil qualified automatically for next year`s tournament as hosts and continue their preparations with friendlies against South Korea and Zambia next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog