Neymar lauds Santos after win
Sao Paulo: Neymar praised his teammates` ability to perform under pressure after Santos advanced to the final of Brazil`s Campeonato Paulista with a dramatic 5-4 penalty shootout victory over Mogi Mirim.
After ending 1-1 at the final whistle Saturday, Rene Junior and Ezequiel Miralles missed two of Santos` first three attempts from the penalty spot. But Brazil`s 2012 London Olympics goalkeeper Rafael kept his side in the match by saving the shots of Carlos Alberto, Juninho and Roni.
Neymar converted with Santos` fifth attempt before Leo and Edu Dracena also netted to hand their team victory.
"It was nerve-wracking but we showed composure when it mattered. It`s a great feeling to be in the tournament decider for a fifth time. I still don`t know what it`s like to not make the Paulista final," a jubilant Neymar said after the match.
Playmaker Roni had opened the scoring for Mogi Mirim on the stroke of half-time before Dracena equalised 14 minutes from time.
Santos will meet the winner of Sunday`s other semifinal between Sao Paulo and Corinthians in the final May 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'