Neymar leads Santos to Recopa Sudamericana title
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar scored his 46th goal of the year as Santos defeated Universidad de Chile 2-0 to secure their first Recopa Sudamericana title.
The Brazil striker netted with a cool finish in the 27th-minute at Sao Paulo`s Pacaembu stadium but wasted a chance to double his tally by missing a penalty just before half-time Wedneday, Xinhua reports.
Defender Bruno Rodrigo secured the win with a 60th-minute header after a Felipe Anderson free-kick.
The result gave Santos a 2-0 aggregate victory after a 0-0 draw in last month`s first leg in Chile`s capital Santiago.
"I am very happy - this is yet another title," said Neymar, who at 20 already has six trophies to his name.
"I have to thank all of my teammates and our fans who have given us great support."
Neymar also paid tribute to national teammate Paulo Henrique Ganso, who played in the first leg for Santos before joining Sao Paulo last week.
"I am sad that he is not here because he is my brother, but the most important thing is that he is now happy," said Neymar, who has now scored 46 goals from 54 matches in 2012.
"Paulo is a part of this. He did so much for Santos and helped us in the first match (of the final) in Santiago."
The Recopa Sudamericana pits the winners of the previous year`s Copa Libertadores against the reigning Copa Sudamericana champions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon