Neymar must come to Europe to have chance of winning Ballon d`Or, says Blatter
Zurich: Fifa president Sepp Blatter insists that Santos striker Neymar should be looking into a transfer to Europe if he wants to win the Ballon d`Or.
The youngster was not included on the recently-revealed shortlist of finalists for the prize, but 76-year-old Blatter says that the Brazilian wonderkid might have a chance to win it - but that he will first have to move away from his homeland.
"Neymar is outstanding, but it`s difficult for anyone not playing in Europe to be one of the finalists," Blatter explained to reporters at a press conference in Sao Paolo.
"The standard of football in Brazil is high, but European football is the benchmark of club football right now," he added, noting that Neymar could be included "if he performs well with Brazil in 2014".
Selecao legend Ronaldo agreed with the Fifa supremo, praising the youngster for being able to make it on the initial list of nominees in the first place.
"Neymar is on the list of 23 players nominated for the award and that is a great achievement, but I think that to be a finalist he`ll have to play in Europe or have a great World Cup with the national team in 2014.
"Neymar is the biggest star in Brazil, but he isn`t very well known in Europe", Ronaldo added. "I spoke to him once about the possibility of playing in Europe, in terms of his ambition.
"I told him that to be one of the world`s top players he has to sign for a European club."
The 20-year-old, who is set to become a vital part of Brazil`s team for the World Cup in 2014. has appeared 27 times for his country so far, scoring 17 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks