Neymar not yet near Messi, says former coach
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar`s former coach Muricy Ramalho believes the Brazil striker could not yet be compared to new Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi.
The 57-year-old, sacked as coach of Brazilian top-flight club Santos in June, said Monday that Neymar needed to shine consistently in Europe before being compared to the four-time Ballon d`Or winner, reports Xinhua.
"Messi is number one," Ramalho said. "Neymar will improve at Barcelona, but he has a long way to go to get to where Messi is."
Ramalho rejected suggestions from Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff that the pair will not be compatible on the pitch.
"I`m sure they will work well together, there won`t be any problems. Neymar is a good kid and he has a lot of respect for Messi."
Neymar, who arrived in Barcelona on Sunday following his 57 million-euro transfer from Santos, is set to make his debut for the Catalan club against Polish side Lechia Gdansk on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload