Neymar offered new Santos deal, says father
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar has been offered a new contract by Brazilian Football club Santos, according to the striker`s father and agent.
The 21-year-old is currently on contract with the club until July 2014, but Santos risks losing the starlet for nothing, if a deal is not struck in advance.
"Santos have now offered us a contract renewal, but we will have to wait and talk to them," Neymar`s father said.
"It is very difficult to see him leaving before 2014, although we will have to think about what is best for him."
Barcelona are reportedly leading the race to sign Neymar, but the Catalan club faces competition from big-spending rivals Manchester City and Real Madrid.
Santos advisor Celso Leite said on Thursday that, “the club needed to act now to avoid missing out on a lucrative sale.”
"I would like Santos to call his father so that they can try to come to an agreement," Leite said. "If they can`t do that then they need to sell him by July at the latest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral