Neymar offered new Santos deal, says father
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar has been offered a new contract by Brazilian Football club Santos, according to the striker`s father and agent.
The 21-year-old is currently on contract with the club until July 2014, but Santos risks losing the starlet for nothing, if a deal is not struck in advance.
"Santos have now offered us a contract renewal, but we will have to wait and talk to them," Neymar`s father said.
"It is very difficult to see him leaving before 2014, although we will have to think about what is best for him."
Barcelona are reportedly leading the race to sign Neymar, but the Catalan club faces competition from big-spending rivals Manchester City and Real Madrid.
Santos advisor Celso Leite said on Thursday that, “the club needed to act now to avoid missing out on a lucrative sale.”
"I would like Santos to call his father so that they can try to come to an agreement," Leite said. "If they can`t do that then they need to sell him by July at the latest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing