Neymar propels Santos into club world final
Tokyo: Brazil striker Neymar scored a sublime opening goal as he inspired Santos to a clinical 3-1 victory over Japan`s Kashiwa Reysol in their Club World Cup semi-final in Toyota on Wednesday.
The Libertadores Cup holders are expected to face European champions Barcelona in the final, barring the unthinkable in Barca`s semi-final against Qatar`s Al Sadd on Thursday.
"We attacked with real purpose today and took our chances well," Santos coach Muricy Ramalho told reporters after the Brazilians saw off Reysol with three impressive goals.
"We have good skill throughout the team and finishing ability, which was the difference between the teams tonight.”
"There was no luck about the win and the goals were no surprise to me -- Neymar, Borges and Danilo always score these kind of goals."
Neymar, coveted by a host of top European clubs, struck fear into Reysol every time he touched the ball and he hit the post after five minutes.
The 19-year-old pin-up with the blond, mohican haircut put Santos ahead after 19 minutes, curling a fabulous shot into the top corner after deftly switching the ball from right to left.
Santos, crowned South American champions in June for the third time in almost 50 years after Pele led them to back-to-back titles, looked capable of scoring at will early on.
Neymar`s strike partner Borges smashed home a second goal from the edge of the box in the 24th minute as Santos flexed their muscles and the floodgates threatened to burst open.
Defender Hiroki Sakai threw Reysol a lifeline with a powerful header nine minutes into the second half, until Danilo bent a breathtaking free kick around the wall in the 63rd minute to slam the door on the J-League title holders.
Substitute Ibson rattled the crossbar as classy Santos came close to a deserved fourth goal, roared on by a large section of noisy supporters among the crowd of 30,000.
"We`ve played three matches in eight days," said Kashiwa coach Nelsinho, sacked by Santos in 2005. "We created chances but paid for not taking them."
On such form, Santos will be hard to beat, even by Barcelona, who are chasing a second Club World Cup title in three years.
Barcelona`s semi-final against Asian champions Al Sadd and Sunday`s championship match both take place in Yokohama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened