Neymar rejects Barca talk
Rio de Janeiro: Neymar has rejected the latest reports linking him with a move to Barcelona by insisting he has still not considered leaving Brazilian club Santos.
Last week Barcelona defender and Neymar`s Brazil teammate Daniel Alves claimed the striker had already agreed to join the Catalan outfit after next year`s World Cup.
"Daniel Alves is a good friend but if I say that (Lionel) Messi is coming to Santos, would you believe me?" Neymar was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "I appreciate what Daniel is saying but I am happy here."
According to Spanish media, Barcelona have made a down payment of 10 million euros for the starlet, whose contract with Santos expires in July next year.
Among the clubs jostling with Barcelona for the 21-year-old`s signature are Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City.
In a thinly-veiled swipe at Alves, Neymar called for an end to speculation about his future.
"Those who say that I am ready to leave don`t know anything about my life," he said.
"When I feel ready to leave I will leave. It`s my decision to make and nobody else`s. I am happy at Santos."
Earlier Monday, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell confirmed the club`s interest in signing the Brazil forward this European summer.
"It`s true that we are interested in him and he is on the list of possible signings for the future," Rosell said during a press conference.
Neymar has scored 54 goals from 102 appearances for Santos and led the side to the 2011 Copa Libertadores title - South America`s most prestigious club trophy. He has also won 28 international caps for Brazil and scored 17 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145