Neymar rubbishes Lugano diving claims
Brasilia: Neymar has strongly refuted claims of diving from Diego Lugano after Brazil’s 2-1 victory over Uruguay on Wednesday.
The Selecao recorded a 2-1 victory over their South American rivals in the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup thanks to goals from Fred and Paulinho, either side of an Edinson Cavani strike, to reach the final of the competition for a third consecutive time.
But the Barcelona forward was unhappy with comments made by Uruguay defender Lugano prior to the game after he claimed that the former Santos player was guilty of diving.
"He who has a mouth speaks what he wants. This will not hurt me. What matters to me most is to help my team-mates and the team win," he told reporters.
The 21-year-old then acknowledged just how close the contest was, with nerves appearing to get the better of Brazil in the early stages of the game in front of an expectant Belo Horizonte crowd.
“It was typical of a semi-final game. We managed to control the game. We knew it would be hard but we got the win and that was the most important thing," he added.
Brazil striker Fred was also in high spirits after his side’s victory and defended Neymar over accusations of simulation.
"The Uruguayans talked a lot before the game, some [Lugano] attacked Neymar. We beat them on the pitch, and that`s our answer," he told reporters after the match.
“Criticism? As I always say, I only respond on the pitch, but the crowd today was great with me. It was amazing.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp