Neymar sent off in Santos defeat
Sao Paulo: Brazil international Neymar was sent off as Santos suffered a shock 1-3 defeat to Ponte Preta in the Campeonato Paulista football tournament.
He and Ponte Preta defender Artur were shown straight red cards after an altercation just before half-time at the Moises Lucarelli Stadium Sunday.
Second-half substitute Alemao secured the victory for Ponte Preta deep into injury time with his second goal in 10 minutes after Santos forward Andre gave the visitors hope with an 86th minute strike.
Bruno Silva had given Ponte Preta a 1-0 advantage by netting in the 12th minute.
Neymar did not hide his anger at being shown the fifth red card of his career.
"Who did I hurt? I tried to kick the ball and ended up making contact with Artur, but not even he complained," Neymar said after the match.
The 21-year-old will not play until Santos` March 3 clash against Corinthians, who drew 2-2 with Palmeiras on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- 2016 US Open: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams named top seeds for season's final Grand Slam
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria