Niang goal denies Monaco
Paris: Monaco`s prospects of overhauling Paris Saint-Germain at the top of Ligue 1 appeared to take another blow on Friday, as Claudio Ranieri`s side were held to a 1-1 draw by struggling Montpellier.
Layvin Kurzawa put Monaco in front in the 52nd minute at the Stade de la Mosson, but the hosts drew level midway through the second period when M`Baye Niang converted the rebound after his penalty had been saved by goalkeeper Danijel Subasic.
The result in what was the first Ligue 1 game of 2014 means that leaders PSG could pull five points clear of the principality club with a win at bottom side Ajaccio on Saturday afternoon, while Lille can leapfrog Monaco into second by beating Reims on Sunday.
Ranieri handed Colombian striker Radamel Falcao his first start in a league game since late November after injury for the away side, who had surprisingly lost 2-1 at home to Valenciennes in their last match before Christmas.
Montpellier, who had lost 4-1 when the sides met at the Stade Louis II in the reverse fixture, came into the game just three points clear of the relegation zone and the 2012 champions were still looking for their first win since Rolland Courbis returned for a second spell as coach last month.
Courbis handed a start to young striker Niang, a loan signing from AC Milan who scored on his debut for the club in the French Cup last weekend.
Neither he nor Falcao were particularly prominent in the first half, with Monaco`s best chance coming when a Joao Moutinho shot was beaten away by home `keeper Geoffrey Jourdren.
Meanwhile, Remy Cabella squandered a glorious chance for Montpellier just before the interval when he hesitated and allowed Subasic to clear after a speculative Mathieu Deplagne ball had fallen into his path six yards out.
And it was Monaco who took the lead seven minutes after the break when young left-back Kurzawa, despite starting from a marginally offside position, rose to meet a James Rodriguez free-kick from the left flank, the ball coming off his shoulder before looping over Jourdren and into the net.
However, Montpellier showed great spirit to come back and win a penalty when the quick feet of Cabella enticed veteran defender Eric Abidal into committing a foul inside the box.
Niang`s initial effort was saved by Subasic, but the 19-year-old reacted quickest to convert the follow-up, and Montpellier held on to take a morale-boosting point, although they needed Jourdren to make an important save from Yannick Ferreira Carrasco right at the end to keep them on level terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM