Nigeria dominates African Cup of Nations all-star team
Johannesburg: The Confederation of African Football (CAF) selected five members of the Nigerian national team for inclusion in the Team of the Tournament for the just ended Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
The Nigerians, dubbed the Supper Eagles, were crowned the African champions after beating Burkina Faso 1-0 in the final Sunday night.
Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, defender Efe Ambrose, midfielder John Mikel Obi and strikers Victor Moses and Emmanuel Emenike made it to the Best African XI.
Jonathan Pitroipa and Bakary Kone, both from Burkina Faso, also made it to the team.
Mali`s Seydou Keita was included in the all-star line-up as well.
Cote d`Ivoire`s Arouna Kone and Siaka Tiene, Wakaso Mubarak and Asamoah Gyan from Ghana alongside Cape Verde`s Nando Maria Neves were the other names in the star studded team.
Emanuel Emenike from Nigeria won the Golden Boot Award with four goals. Nigerian coach Stephen Keshi made history when he won AFCON as a coach and as a player.
Nigeria last won the AFCON in 1994 when Stephen Keshi was the team captain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply