Nigeria name Mikel in World Cup squad
Abuja: Injured Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel was named on Monday in Nigeria’s preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup.
A knee injury kept the 23-year-old out of the London club’s last three games in the title run-in but Nigeria Lars Lagerback is banking on his return to fitness for the tournament in South Africa starting next month.
The squad also marked a return for Everton forward Victor Anichebe, who had spent almost a year sidelined through injury, and John Utaka of FA Cup finalists Portsmouth.
The surprise omission was defensive midfielder Seyi Olofinjana of Hull City.
Nigeria play in Group B at the tournament against Argentina, Greece and South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar