No dope testing mechanism for Subroto Cup
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force (IAF) confirmed on Tuesday that they have no mechanism in place for dope testing in the Subroto Cup school football tournament.
The 54th edition of the Subroto Cup will see six foreign teams battle it out with their Indian counterparts from Sep 27 to Oct 19 at the Ambedkar Stadium here.
The tournament will have three categories -- U-14 boys, U-17 boys and U-17 girls -- with at least two finals under flood lights for the first time.
"Yes, I concede it has been our failure. We have failed to look into this aspect, which is increasingly becoming a serious issue. We will surely deal with it from the next edition of Subroto Cup," Air Marshal H.B. Rajaram was quoted as saying by TV channels.
In all, 81 schools will be taking part in this year`s edition -- nine more than 2012`s record. The Subroto Cup has a rich tradition and has seen top Indian players like Shyam Thapa, Prashanto Banerjee, Bruno Coutinho and, above all, Bhaichung Bhutia take part in tournament as school children.
Another point of concern for the organisers is the issue of overage players taking part in the tournament.
"We have taken adequate measures to check this practice. We had banned a Nagaland school for fielding overaged boys and two years back, a school team from Afghanistan was barred from participating in the tournament," Air Marshal Rajaram said.
However, without proper equipment for detecting accurate age, the organisers will have to rely on what the doctors say.
"We depend on what the doctors say. If they say he or she is overage, we go by their certificate or assessment."
In the 2012 edition, the trophy was lifted by Ukraine`s Dynamo Kiev Football Club while the centre of attraction this year would be another Ukrainian side Troeshchina.
The team of underprivileged children should start favorites after winning the UNICEF Football Cup in Spain earlier this year. The other five foreign teams would be from Oman, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow