No threat to Copa over new FIFA raid, says US Soccer Federation

After protracted negotiations, the tournament, which will take place in cities across the United States in June, was given the go-ahead.

AFP| Updated: Dec 03, 2015, 21:48 PM IST
No threat to Copa over new FIFA raid, says US Soccer Federation

The United States Soccer Federation said Thursday the fresh round of arrests in the FIFA corruption scandal would not jeopardize next year`s Copa Centenario tournament.

A statement from US Soccer said the arrests of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL ) president Juan Angel Napout, and Alfredo Hawit, head of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean (CONCACAF) would have no bearing on the event.

"Today`s events involving individual members of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL in no way pierce the integrity of the rigorous safeguards the United States Soccer Federation required before agreeing to host Copa America Centenario that ensure the tournament is organized and conducted in a way that is open, transparent and above reproach," a statement said.

"The new Executive Committee that was created to govern the tournament does not include these individuals and they were never in a position to make decisions that would adversely impact those high standards.

"The United States Soccer Federation remains fully focused on the organization and operation of Copa America Centenario, and conducting the tournament in the most professional and highly principled manner possible."

The future of the Copa Centenario -- a special edition of the Copa America celebrating its centenary -- had been shrouded in doubt ever since the FIFA corruption scandal erupted in May.

After protracted negotiations, the tournament, which will take place in cities across the United States in June, was given the go-ahead.